I’ve created a new map of morris sides.
It’s been quite a bit of work taking several months, but I’ve manually added almost 800 sides (781 to be exact) to a new map aiming to show every morris side in the world.
I’m aware that there are various other maps of sides out there, but I’m not sure there are any that show sides belonging to all of the different morris organisations in every part of the world.
My new map is filterable by style of morris and also searchable for specific teams.
I hope this will make it easier for people to join their local side, find a morris team to dance at events, or just for those interested in seeing the concentration of certain types of morris in certain areas.
A couple of points on using the map:
- I’m aware that some teams dance more than one style equally, but for the purpose of filtering I’ve gone with what seemed to be the team’s main style.
- There are some venues that host multiple teams. I’ve tried to split these markers so they are not on top of each other, but this means they may not be exactly on the practice venue.
- I’ve listed the gender of teams as that of the dancers. I know some teams allow musicians of the other sex, and that some teams prefer to be known as open to all genders, rather than ‘mixed’, but again for the purpose of filtering, I have gone with male, female and mixed.
- I’ve linked to the web presence that seemed the most up-to-date – mostly websites, but sometimes Facebook pages.
- There are some teams I left off as I couldn’t find their website, and therefore any details on where they are based. If you spot any, please point me to them and I will add them.
As part of this project I’ve trawled an awful lot of morris websites (again, 781 to be exact) and will publish some thoughts on the general presentation of morris online soon.
As always, please leave comments to let me know what you think or if you spot any errors. You can add any sides I’ve missed using this form.